Since 29th Nov 2015 we have Freifunk in Virneburg. :-)
What's about Freifunk?
- Freifunk-initiative has the goal to etablish free, independent and non-commercial wireless-networks
- Freifunk is a freely available wi-fi network by citizen for citizen, which offers a free and free of charge connect to the internet
- Everyone can connect to Freifunk without a registration
- In Virneburg (also in the whole district Mayen-Koblenz) the SSID is freifunk-myk.de
- Freifunk-networks are one's own made where citizen share their own internet access with Freifunk
- The participants use a special Linux-version on their wi-fi routers, the Freifunk-firmware
- There are Freifunk in many cities and communities, in the Eifel between Mayen and Geroldstein we are the first :-)
The Freifunk principles
- The access to informations and knowledge should be as free as freedom
- Nobody should limit communications with other people
- Local and global wi-fi and networks by wire should be a public zone like streets, parks, woods and the sea
- Networks and the digital infrastructure should be based on free and open source software as well as open standards
- Regulators, governments and politicans should garantie a non-limited, certified band width for the public
Is this safe?
- The Freifunk-router is separated from your private net. By this nobody can enter via Freifunk your net at home
- The internet-access is encrypted. There is no liability for you.
What's about the costs of Freifunk for me as a user or a internet-sharer?
- Freifunk is usable free of charge
- Sharers need only a suitable router which costs less than 20 €
- The sharer pays only the the electricity costs of the Freifunk-router. The devices we use need nearly 6€ a year
- Participants who didn't have an own internet-access can join in if there's a sharer closeness. His router can serve as an range extender.
More informations you find here (in German)